Lupita Nyong'o in Glamour March 2014

On "12 Years a Slave": 

"I remember in my very first fitting, [costume designer Patricia Norris] gave me a garment with these intricate stitches—stitches over stitches, because it had been repaired so many times. Once I put it on, she told me that it belonged to an actual slave woman. My heart just stopped. Each one of the stitches had a story, you know. Just recognizing this period I was going to be dancing with was a “come to Jesus” moment."

On wearing makeup boosts confidence: 

"I went to an all-boys high school, and they accepted girls in only the two A.P. classes. They had these archaic rules: For example, girls couldn’t wear makeup. I found it so outrageous that an all-boys school could tell girls to not wear makeup! So I went on a campaign. I got a petition signed and everything. If a girl wants to wear makeup to boost confidence, why not? [But] I’ve worked hard to feel beautiful in my natural skin. Personally, I don’t ever want to depend on makeup to feel beautiful."

On her go-to red carpet look: 

"I love color. I’m enjoying trying all different shades. Makeup isn’t something I’ve worn a lot of in my life. So it’s good to work with someone like [makeup artist] Nick Barose, who is inspired by my complexion and knows how to work with it."

On her skin care secrets: 

"I love using natural oils. I use avocado oil and Hawaiian Kukui Oil on my face. I like to keep things natural, simple, and straightforward."

On her short hairstyle: 

"The first time I cut all my hair off was when I was 19. I just got fed up going to the salon every week. I’d had enough! On a whim, it was off. It’s low maintenance."





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here!